Wednesday 27 May 2020 (9:00am to 5:00pm)
Delivered via Zoom interactive virtual workshop
Professional & Associate Members $675
Affiliate Members $775
Non Members $775
This course will help you influence people and negotiate, even in difficult situations. It will strengthen your confidence and credibility in negotiations; encourage frank, productive discussion to build mutual understanding and generate options; encourage flexibility and options; influence others’ thinking, encouraging openness and agreement; demonstrate understanding and awareness of others’ circumstances and interests; manage difficult relationships, especially in high-conflict situations; and deal confidently and assertively with power tactics, anger, frustration, and resistance.
- Learn a robust approach for preparing and holding negotiations
- Identify the high-gain information needed for effective negotiations
- Balance firmness with flexibility, maintaining credibility while encouraging productive dialogue
- Increase ability to influence outcomes and resolutions
- Evaluate the relative strengths of the two sides
- Manage challenging relationships
- Use strategies for managing anger, frustration, resistance and negativity
- Negotiate assertively and confidently in challenging situations, responding effectively to tricks and power tactics.
"An informative and engaging workshop. I walked away feeling more confident in my ability to negotiate after having the chance to practice what we had learned."
Recent IPAA learner
4.4 out of 5 (based on feedback from 96 learners)
ZOOM Virtual Classroom
Our virtual classroom consists of a facilitator teaching the class to students who are dialled in remotely to the class session. Presentation slides and other digital files can be presented during the training session using the Zoom platform and the student may either focus on these resources or the facilitator.
To enable connection, you will require the following set-up:
- Sufficient internet connection – Zoom is successful on a 4G network. Any network better than 4G will enhance the student’s experience;
- A PC with a web-camera, microphone and the capacity to run the Zoom application to allow the facilitator to better interact with students in the same manner as a traditional classroom; and
- Sufficient sized monitor or screen to support the number of students in the room.
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Intermediate to Adept level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Relationships: Influence and negotiate
- Negotiate from an informed and credible position.
- Encourage others to talk, share and debate ideas to achieve a consensus.
- Recognise and explain the need for compromise.
- Influence others with a fair and considered approach and sound arguments.
- Show sensitivity and understanding in resolving conflicts and differences.
- Identify and resolve issues in discussion with other staff and stakeholders.
Phillip Hart helps people achieve practical, robust outcomes with difficult issues, especially when there is uncertainty, dissent, and even hostility. He is an independent facilitator, negotiator and nationally accredited mediator. He has extensive experience over many years, in a wide range of contexts in the government, private, and not-for-profit sectors. He helps individuals and teams clarify the issues which are confronting them, identify and explore a range of options to address these issues, craft appropriate and realistic solutions and develop implementation strategies, and prepare for difficult conversations and negotiations. He is a Nationally Accredited Mediator on the LEADR Panel of Mediators and a Conflict Coach. He is a frequent presenter and participant in professional Alternative Dispute Resolution conferences, seminars and workshops.
All course materials (including the workbooks) will be made available through our digital learning space, Illuminate. Your Illuminate access details will be provided 7 days prior to the course date.
Other courses you may be interested in
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email email@example.com.