Tuesday 15th February 2022 (9:00am to 5:00pm)
Delivered via Zoom interactive workshop
Professional & Associate Members $745.00 (incl. GST)
Affiliate Members $850.00 (incl. GST)
Non Members $965.00 (incl. GST)
If you are a NSW public sector employee, then you are eligible for Affiliate membership free of charge. Click here to join.
This course is also available for in-house delivery. For more information please contact the Learning team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected] for a quote.
This course allows participants to develop the knowledge and skills required for undertaking research and analysis essential for developing and supporting policy initiatives. This includes research, analysis of problems, formulation of outcomes, policy history, whole-of-government collaboration and citizen engagement and empowerment.
- Undertake basic policy data collection
- Undertake relevant policy research
- Categorize policy problems into basic tasks and activities
- Identify and explain the policy formulation process and the research used
- Use vocabulary appropriate to both professional and stakeholder audiences.
ZOOM Virtual Classroom
Our virtual classroom consists of a facilitator teaching the class to students who are dialled in remotely to the class session. Presentation slides and other digital files can be presented during the training session using the Zoom platform and the student may either focus on these resources or the facilitator.
To enable connection, you will require the following set-up:
- Sufficient internet connection – Zoom is successful on a 4G network. Any network better than 4G will enhance the student’s experience;
- A PC with a web-camera, microphone and the capacity to run the Zoom application to allow the facilitator to better interact with students in the same manner as a traditional classroom; and
- Sufficient sized monitor or screen to support the number of students in the room.
"Randal has a wealth of knowledge and the practicalities that come out of a course like this are fantastic for early public service career people like myself."
3.9 out of 5 (based on feedback from 50 learners)
Recent IPAA learner
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at Foundational to Intermediate level. The following behaviours from the framework are covered:
Results: Deliver results
- Seek and apply specialist advice when required.
- Take responsibility for delivering on intended outcomes.
- Use own expertise and seek others’ expertise to achieve work outcomes.
Results: Think and solve problems
- Research and analyse information and make recommendations based on relevant evidence.
- Be willing to seek out input from others and share own ideas to achieve best outcomes.
- Research and analyse information, identify interrelationships and make recommendations based on relevant evidence.
- Anticipate, identify and address issues and potential problems and select the most effective solutions from a range of options.
Benefits to your organisation
- Ability of staff to actively undertake and explain research
- Staff can enter into dialogues relevant to data collection and analysis
Benefits to you
- Ability to explain and policy development and positioning
- Structured knowledge of policy development and its related fields of research, analysis and exposition
Dr Randal Stewart
Randal Stewart is an author, consultant and trainer specialising in public policy consulting and training, based in Canberra, ACT and Tweed Heads, NSW. Some of the emerging areas that Randal applies his experience include:
- Public service policymaking in the digital age
- Big data linkage to enhance research and overcoming bias in algorithmic regulation
- Network governance and management for public service policymaking to engage and empower people in the policy process
- Deepening outcomes-focused policy using new thinking, digital tools and new concepts and methods
Randal worked in politics at a young age starting as an adviser to federal and state politicians, observing politics from the inside. He embarked on an academic career beginning in development studies and living in the Highlands of PNG while researching a PhD on the coffee industry in PNG and Tanzania. Randal worked as an academic at the Australian National University, the University of Queensland and the University of Sydney.
Later he became a consultant and facilitator working with public sectors and with the governments of NSW, Northern Territory, Tasmania and extensively with the Commonwealth. His specialty is policy formulation and advice. He has worked in all areas of policy in the public sector, especially economic, regional and industry policy, as well as Indigenous and education policy. He has worked with most federal government agencies and many agencies at a state and local level. In 2020, Randal adapted his policy courses for online via ZOOM delivery and now offers face-to-face and online policy courses.
Randal has two podcasts of interest to all those who are obsessed with policy as much as he is. Firstly, a podcast called ‘Government Policy Articulated’ in which Randal reads Royal Commission, Public and parliamentary inquiry reports including on the Ruby Princess, Coercive control and COVID-19 hotel quarantine among many other topics. Secondly, ‘Researching Policy Articulated’, in which Randal reads a summary of cutting-edge policy articles and papers in short fifteen-minute podcasts.
All course materials (including the workbooks) will be made available through our digital learning space, Illuminate. Your Illuminate access details will be provided 7 days prior to the course date.
Other courses you may be interested in
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected].