Wednesday 2nd and Thursday 3rd March 2022 (9:30am to 12:30pm each day)
Delivered via Zoom interactive workshop
Professional & Associate Members $745.00 (incl. GST)
Affiliate Members $850.00 (incl. GST)
Non Members $965.00 (incl. GST)
If you are a NSW public sector employee, then you are eligible for Affiliate membership free of charge. Click here to join.
This course is also available for in-house delivery. For more information please contact the Learning team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected] for a quote.
This course provides participants with the skills to interpret and communicate technical information to varying audiences. Participants will learn how to integrate data into their documents and produce statistical insights relevant to their work. Participants will complete several exercises to develop their understanding of data and will test this understanding using real datasets relevant to their work.
After attending Telling a compelling story with data, participants will be better able to:
- Understand how best to interpret data and communicate technical information to a non-technical audience when drafting documents
- Understand why, how and when to integrate data into government documents
- Present complex data in documents in a visually interesting way
- Avoid misleading graphs and representations
- Combine text and graphical devices in documents to communicate a logical and influential narrative
‘Mary was great. This was the best virtual training I have done. I was engaged beginning to end, and I really got a lot out of it.’
Senior manager in Commonwealth government workshop
‘I have only positive feedback. I was a bit apprehensive about doing it totally interactively via Zoom but Mary made everyone feel very comfortable.’
Virtual workshop participant
‘Mary is a very knowledgeable presenter with extensive personal experience which was the real value of the program.’
Recent Workshop participant
ZOOM Virtual Classroom
Our virtual classroom consists of a facilitator teaching the class to students who are dialled in remotely to the class session. Presentation slides and other digital files can be presented during the training session using the Zoom platform and the student may either focus on these resources or the facilitator.
To enable connection, you will require the following set-up:
- Sufficient internet connection – Zoom is successful on a 4G network. Any network better than 4G will enhance the student’s experience;
- A PC with a web-camera, microphone and the capacity to run the Zoom application to allow the facilitator to better interact with students in the same manner as a traditional classroom; and
- Sufficient sized monitor or screen
NSW Public Sector Framework Capabilities
This course is targeted at the Adept-Advanced levels for the following focus capabilities:
- Think and solve problems
- Communicate effectively
- Influence and negotiate
- Demonstrate accountability
Mary Harwood has extensive experience as a senior executive, having worked as a first assistant secretary in three Australian Government departments. She understands, from long professional experience, the workings of government, including how departments can best work with ministers, Parliament and external stakeholders. She is an expert in policy development, program management and stakeholder relations.
All course materials (including the workbooks) will be made available through our digital learning space, Illuminate. Your Illuminate access details will be provided 7 days prior to the course date.
Enquiries: For more information on our learning programs, please contact the IPAA NSW Learning Team on 02 8066 1900 or email [email protected].