Do you need to design, develop and deliver an effective briefing?
IS THIS COURSE RIGHT FOR YOU?
Would you deliver better results if you could recognise and present crucial information that withstood internal and external scrutiny?
Would your work benefit if you could understand the needs of decision-makers and how to manage those relationships by preparing quality and timely briefings?
Over two half-day sessions, you will be given the knowledge to use NSW government templates and examples to write effective and compelling briefs.
This hands-on workshop includes lots of opportunities to examine your own documents so you can define the purpose and order key ideas.
You’ll also learn techniques for recognising and correcting problems with your language and structure.
Effective communications skills were identified by the NSW public sector leaders as one of the Skills for Success. This course builds on the foundations developed in Skills for Success: Communicating with confidence.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
You will leave this course with the skills to present sound evidence and clear arguments. You will also learn techniques to structure your briefs to fit on a single page.
You will complete several exercises to develop your understanding of presenting complex material and ideas in the simplest possible way.
You will finish this course knowing you can:
- understand the frameworks for substantiating conclusions: costs versus benefits; pros versus cons
- assess the quality of evidence: information, evidence, facts, conclusions
- create a clear and logical argument and recommendations that persuade the reader
- use plain English and clear and concise language
Writing briefs is for people at the Foundational to Intermediate level and you will develop the following capabilities:
- Relationships: Communicate Effectively
- Prepare written material that is well structured and easy to follow by the intended audience
- Relationships: Influence and negotiate
- Use facts, knowledge and experience to support recommendations
- Results: Think and solve problems
- Identify the facts and type of data needed to understand a problem or explore an opportunity
Be at your best, for NSW.
Register now to secure your spot.
Terms and Conditions